FAFCO Hot Water
How It Works
FAFCO solar hot water systems are designed to operate automatically, gathering the sun’s energy when available. When solar energy is unavailable, the system turns itself off and the hot water is stored in your water tank until it is needed.
- Solar collectors–made of durable, lightweight, ultraviolet-resistant, polymer, material–are designed specifically for hot water heating.
- When solar energy is available, collectors heat water pumped through the solar loop.
- A heat exchanger transfers heat from the solar loop to water in your storage tank where it is available for all household needs. Water in the two loops never mixes.
- When not in operation, the water in the solar collectors drains back into the wall-mounted drainback tank to prevent water from freezing inside the solar collectors.
FAFCO solar water heating solutions are designed to work with electric, natural gas, or tankless(instantaneous) water heaters. Your current system and hot water requirements will determine the configuration of your solar hot water system.
- Although a single-tank configuration can be utilized for installations with an electric heater, a dual-tank configuration, which includes a dedicated solar hot water tank, is a desirable option in many cases.
- A dual tank configuration is required for installations with a gas water heater. One of the tanks is used to hold just the water heated by the solar collectors.
Depending on your needs and the selected configuration, a FAFCO installation by Fun in the Sun may be as quick as half a day.